Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Super Awesome Seitanic Fajitas

You know how you get really excited because it's pay day and you're like, "yeah, now I got that cash to get all the good stuff!" and you don't have to live off two-day old beans and peanut butter and the apples from the back of the fridge anymore?

Well, this past yesterday, that happened to me. I got paid. Immediately, I went to the grocery store. I had a small list (really, it was), but the meals that I'm making turned out to not be so small. Now I'm having a mad dash to try and figure out what I'm going to make because stuff starts to turn. I think I've got it figured out, and here's my recipes to prove it!

Today I made some seitan fajitas, they were awesome and they totally fulfilled by fajita craving. Aside from the standard veggie fajita, I think seitan is the way to go. It has the best texture, it can be cut into strips, and you can marinate it for some truly zippy flavor.

These fajitas are marinated overnight and then sauteed up with bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes, and served with avocado slices and green salsa. I like to stuff a little lettuce in there too, just for good measure. I was really effing hungry when I came home and made these, and in less than 30 minutes I had dinner on my plate. I was prepared to eat like, three or four, but I could only eat two (and from then on, only one!). That seitan is seriously filling! This recipe makes quite a few fajitas, probably enough to feed 4-6 people.

Seriously. How do you photograph a fajita?

Super Awesome Seitanic Fajitas:
Marinade:
     Juice and zest of 1 orange
     Juice and zest of 1 lime
     1 jalapeno, minced
     1 Tb. garlic, minced
     2 Tb. olive oil
     1 tsp. cumin
     1/2 tsp. oregano
     1/8 tsp. salt
     1 lb. seitan, sliced into thin strips (or chunks, I just prefer thin strips)
1 onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow or orange pepper, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced into wedges
1 avocado, sliced
Green tomatillo salsa
Lettuce
Tortilla shells

1. Mix the marinade ingredients, add the sliced seitan strips, stir to mix and coat the strips, then cover and allow to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
2. Brown the seitan strips in a large skillet sprayed with nonstick. Once they're nice and toasty, take them off the heat and set aside.
3. Clean out any brown bits, respray the skillet with nonstick and return it to the heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, and tomatoes and saute until the veggies are crisp-tender and the tomatoes are slightly broken down, about five minutes.
4. Add the seitan to the skillet to heat through and combine with all the other veggies.

To serve: Place the seitan and fajita veggies on a tortilla, top with avocado slices, green salsa, and lettuce. Enjoy!

My mom, who's not vegetarian at all, actually munched on my fajita mix and enjoyed it! That's the second time she's tried seitan. It makes me proud!

2 comments:

Chef Amber Shea said...

Haha, I love that you call them "seitanic". If you made them extra-large, you could call them Titanic Seitanic burritos... :P

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Lol!

That's awesome!