Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Favorite Breakfasts

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and I'm pretty "traditional" when it comes to breakfast food. I like toasts with toppings, hot cereals with toppings, coconut or soy yogurt with granola and fruits, pancakes, veggie sausage and hashbrowns, biscuits and gravy... the list goes on and on. In fact, sometimes I can't get enough breakfast so I just eat it for my other meals as well! You will also notice that I drink a cup of coffee every morning. I'm a coffee snob and I love and enjoy every home-brewed cup. You will also notice that I like my coffee like my wardrobe... Black.

Moving on... As of lately, I've been in a sort-of bowl-o-goodness phase. Somedays I eat toast with it (I butter it with Smart Balance Light because it's cheaper than Earth Balance and just as tasty. Not all Smart Balance spreads are vegan though, so check labels), somedays I don't, but I always try to include a fruit of some sort. I also tend to add a little bit of vanilla rice protein and/or Amazing Grass to them for a little bit of a boost. Here's a sampling of some of my recent breakfasts:

Cream of Wheat with White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter, golden flax seed, dried coconut, coconut butter, and a mashed banana.

Cream of Wheat with made with some chocolate almond milk, toasted almonds, mashed bananas, and golden flax seed. This one is similar to my Energy-Packed Super Breakfast.

(Left): Cream of Wheat with coconut milk and chopped, toasted almonds, a slice of (vegan) buttered whole wheat toast, and a banana.

Oatmeal (I usually use old-fashioned or rolled oats, but I'm trying to use up the last of my mom's quick oats) with brown sugar, currants, coconut butter, toasted almonds, and dried coconut.

(Right): Cream of Wheat with coconut milk, homemade almond-currant granola, buttered whole wheat toast, and a plum (Does anyone else imagine Fez from "That '70s Show" saying the word "plum" as they type it? No?).

(Left): Overnight Oats (made with rolled oats) with almond milk, chia seeds, golden flax seeds, dried coconut, and a hint of real maple syrup. Served with a banana and another hot cup of coffee.









So there's a couple breakfasts for now. Although, since I eat one everyday I'm sure I'll be coming up with a few more delicious combos (especially now that I'm about to make a batch of homemade apple-cinnamon granola and I have apricots and dried cranberries to toss in the mix!).

1 comment:

Chef Amber Shea said...

Wow, lots of great ideas and tons of superfoods! I love all the flax and coconut.