Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Almond-Currant Granola

I've been meaning to make some homemade granola for some time, but it finally became a plan for action today when I was looking at the packaged granola for my breakfast. Instead of paying over $5 for a small package of all-natural granola, I spent about $1.50 for the same sized amount. Not only that, but it has everything in it I like, and nothing I don't!

This granola is quick and easy to make and you can just use it as a guideline to making your own variety. In the future I'd like to make an apple-cinnamon variety, a wild blueberry-vanilla variety, and a chocolate-hazelnut variety.

That's right... I'm just getting started!

Anywho, in these recipe I used currants, which are a dried berry that taste a lot like raisins. You could just use raisins if you'd like (or whatever small dried fruit you want). I also waited until after the granola had come out of the oven before I added the flax seed since heat destroys the Omegas found in it.
This recipe winds up making about 3-ish cups of granola.

Almond-Currant Granola:
2 c. rolled oats (NOT quick oats)
1/4 c. chopped almonds
1/4 c. shredded coconut
1/4 c. currants
3 Tb. coconut oil (liquefied)
4 Tb. real maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 Tb. golden whole flax seed

1. Preheat the oven to 425.
2. In a small bowl, combine the rolled oats, almonds, coconut, currants, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until well-combined.
3. On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, place granola in a single, even layer.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, then give the granola a good toss.
5. Bake for 5-10 more minutes or until granola is golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, then add the flax seeds. Stir to combine.
7. Let cool completely before storing the granola in a covered container. It will crisp as it cools.
Enjoy!

I've also decided that my blog won't just be for recipes, but for the day-to-day stuff I eat too. I like to read other people's blogs and I like to see all the regular everyday food they eat, so I might as well do it on mine. I might even share my failures... maybe....

No comments: