Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

I had a bunch of homegrown butternut squashes just hanging out in my kitchen. I usually wind up roasting it with some potatoes and onions, but I wanted to try something new. Since the weather has cooled dramatically here (dropping almost 15 degrees in about three weeks), I've decided that it's time to start rolling in the autumn food. So, I've decided to use half my squashes for roasting, and the other half for making soup!

I love butternut squash soup. It's very creamy and filling, and nothing beats it with a hunk of fresh bread. This particular recipe has been veganized from a very highly-rated Alton Brown (of Food Network fame) recipe.

Remeber when I said that I would post my failures as well? Well, this is one of them. I love butternut squash, but I did not love this soup. It winds of being a sort-of sweet soup and I should've known better and made it more savory, that's just the kind of girl I am. However, if you enjoy butternut squash soups that contain a sweetness, this recipe would be for you! Next time I'll just make mine with vegetables and herbs.

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup:
2 large Butternut squashes, cut into 2" chunks (about 6 cups), with seeds and strings removed
1 Tb. Earth Balance, melted
1/2 Tb. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground white pepper, plus 1/2 tsp.
3 c. vegetable broth
4 Tb. agave nectar (or sweetener of choice)
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 c. coconut cream (scooped from a can of full-fat coconut milk)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place squash pieces on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Brush the pieces with the melted Earth Balance, and sprinkle with the 1/2 Tb. kosher salt and 1 tsp. white pepper.
3. Roast 35-50 minutes or until the squash is soft.
4. Scoop the flesh from the skin and place into a blender. Blend all the squash with some of the vegetable broth (enough to make it smooth), then place it into a large pot. If you happen to have a hand blender, you can just put all the squash in the pot and blend it from there.
5. Add the rest of the stock, the agave nectar, and the ginger. Stir to combine. Bring the soup to a simmer, and the coconut cream, and season to taste with the kosher salt (if needed), 1/2 tsp. white pepper, and the nutmeg. Simmer until it's completely heated through.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love butternut squash soup!

I keep planning on making it then I get lazy...