Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

My Kombucha is Back!!

Finally, after a long hiatus (thanks, FDA..). My organic raw kombucha is back on the store shelves!!

No kombucha mushroom people were harmed in the making of this tea.

When I went into HyVee today to pick up some Tofurkey Brats and sauerkraut (which was awesomely tasty, by the way), I noticed that my beloved Gingerade flavor of kombucha was back on the shelf. Yeah, I know, I know, it's easier and cheaper to make it yourself at home, but I don't think my parents would enjoy the idea of a large mushroom growing in their kitchen (and furthermore... where would I put it?!).

In case you might not know, kombucha is a culture (kind of like a muchroom, but not really) that is fermented about 30 days. During this time, amino acids, active enzymes, polyphenols, antioxidants, and viable probiotics form. The brand I drink (GT's Organic Raw Kombucha), mixes this fizzy kobucha water with plant extracts and/or flavors. I prefer the Gingerade flavor (ingredients: raw kombucha, ginger juice, love!). It's sometimes cultured in tea, so that where the term "kombucha tea" comes from.

It's weird. When I first drank kombucha I was taken aback by it's strong flavor (it's sort of vinegary due to the natural acetic acid found it in), but after that first sip, I started to CRAVE it. It was like my body was saying, "I NEED IT NOW". These past four months without it have made me sad, but that's over and it's back to old habits!

GT's Kombucha website (for more info)

And here's the bullcrap reason why it was pulled off the shelves: it could be subject to alcohol laws.

UPDATE:
Here's a little article from someone who knows a little more about what they're talking about than I do (LOL):
Reformulated Kombucha Back in Stores

I also noticed that the new kombucha was a little smoother when I first tried it, but when all that sold out at the grocery store and the next case moved in, it seemed to taste more like the original. Fresher, prehaps? Hmm...

2 comments:

Alex (spoonful of sugar free) said...

Hey! I just came across your blog, and I love it! I, too, am a huge fan of kombucha! Have you ever tried making your own? I did it for a while, but when I went on vacation my baby scoby died :(

Anway, I saw that you said you went to your local HyVee. Are you from Iowa? I am from Iowa, and my dad grew up in the city where HyVee was founded (chariton). Just wondering...

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Yeah, my friend gave me a Scoby once, but I forgot about it under the sink and didn't find it until I moved! Lol. I've thought about finding another one since this kombucha habit is sarting to get a little expensive!

I'm actually from Missouri, but I'm north of the river. We got our first Hyvee a couple years ago, but I'd been to them before cause I have family that live near the Iowa border. I don't know what I would do without that place!