Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Everything Granola

I went a little crazy with this last batch of granola.

I had the INTENTION to make a batch of apple-cinnamon granola, but stuff just kept getting tossed into my bowl. 

My overall plan was to chock this batch full of nutrition and I think I did just that. This granola is full of nuts, seeds, fruit, and flavor with just a hint of sweetness. Though it does contain both dried apples and cinnamon (in the pumpkin pie spice) it's entirely different from what I said I would make. Oops. All well. There's always next time! This method of making granola is the way I usually see it, only they bake it in a slow oven. I'm not that patient so I crank it up and toast it until it's golden. Be careful though, baked granola browns pretty fast.

For this bunch I also mixed in a few cups of whole-grain puffed brown rice to bulk it up a bit without adding a lot of calories or fat (plus, it's a whole grain and it's good for you). However, I would recommend using a different cereal, such as Cheerios or Chex because them puffs are a little chewy. I like chewy though, so it's all good. I often use this as a topping for my bowls of goodness and my yogurt (have I mentioned yet that Whole Soy and Co. yogurt is pretty much my favorite in the world? I got the courage to try it from Vegan Sunshine's blog).

So, as with all granola, feel free to add or subtract as you wish! 

Everything Granola:
3 1/2 c. dry cereal
1 1/4 c. rolled oats
1 c. dried apples, torn into small pieces
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/3 c. coconut flakes
1/4 c. pumpkin seeds
1/4 c. wheat germ
1/4 c. chopped almonds
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/8 c. sesame seeds
1/4 c. coconut oil, liquid
1/4 c. liquid sweetener
1/4 c. boiling water
1/8 c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tb. whole golden flax seed
1 Tb. shelled hemp seed

1. In a large bowl, combine the cereal, oats, apples, cranberries, coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, wheat germ, almonds, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds. Mix thoroughly.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut oil, liquid sweetener (like agave), boiling water, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and vanilla.
3. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is completely mixed and coated. Spread onto a baking sheet that has been covered with a piece of parchment paper sprayed with some nonstick.
4. Bake at 325F for about 20 minutes or until nice and golden.
5. Let cool for a little bit and stir in the flax seed and hemp seed (toasting them causes them to lose their omegas).  Granola will crisp as it cools.
6. Store in a closed airtight container.

1 comment:

Chef Amber Shea said...

I've been on a granola kick too! Yours looks great, love the coconut in there.