Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gluten-Free Chocolate-Chip Pumpkin Bread

As I just recently mentioned, I've been meaning to make something gluten-free. A couple of months ago I bought tapioca flour and potato starch to make some homemade egg replacer. I wound up having a lot of both so I set it in my pantry until I could decide what to do with it. As I was browsing some recipes I noticed that I had most of the ingredients. Last week, I went to Whole Foods and I got some bulk rice flour and some xanthan gum to actually get something made. I forced myself to spend the money on the xanthan gum (eek! $10!) but now that I have some, I can create gluten-free stuff to my heart's content (I've been secretly wanting to try out some of HEAB's protein ice cream too, except I need to get some guar gum). 
I actually wound up using most of my (GF) all-purpose flour for this recipe, but since I'm so excited to keep baking gluten-free I'll probably buy some more. I really want to make that cornbread! 

This recipe was adapted from the pumpkin bread recipe from Peace by Pastries. It's awesome, but of course, like the cook that I am, I just can't leave good enough alone! I made a few minor changes to her recipe. Basically, I halved the baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. I also used only 1/2 cup of maple syrup, since I used up all my agave a couple days ago. Then (as if I haven't changed up enough already) I used only one cup of pumpkin. The main reason I made this was to use up some pumpkin that had been hanging around my fridge for a couple of days. If I had had the full amount I would have used it, but I didn't. So there. Ha! I also didn't put any walnuts in it... and I added 1/4 tsp. ginger... 

I've moved many, many, many times in the last couple of years, so both of my loaf pans have disappeared. For this recipe, I used two 9-inch rounds, but I probably only needed to use one. I oiled them up beforehand and since my lazy butt didn't want to wash the unused one, I just dumped that batter into both of them. That's just how I roll. As a result, my cake is only like, one-inch high, so I just slice it into wedges and enjoy it that way. I also added chocolate chips to one pan. It was heavenly. It was the first time I tried the pumpkin-chocolate combo, and I'm pleased to say that it was a winner (and why haven't I tried it before?)! I prefer the Enjoy Life brand of chocolate chips because they're vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free. They're also reasonably priced (around $3) and they're tiny! Who doesn't love tiny chocolate chips??

Anywho, this bread has very good texture. It's not gritty or sandy like some gluten-free baked goods can be. My mom and my sister really enjoyed it as well, and they didn't even question its origins... I will definitely make it again!

I also would've taken a picture, but it was all ate up before I got around to it! So here you go, my pumpkin bread recipe based on Peace by Pastries pumpkin bread recipe based on Babycake's banana bread recipe. Awesome.

Gluten-Free Chocolate-Chip Pumpkin Bread:
2 1/2 c. gluten-free all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 c. coconut oil (liquid)
1/2 c. maple syrup
2/3 c. almond milk + 1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (mine is strong, you may need to double it)
2 Tb. ground flax seed + 2 Tb. warm water
1 c. pumpkin puree
1/2 c. gluten-free, vegan chocolate chips (I recommend Enjoy Life)

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Lightly oil a loaf pan with some of the liquid coconut oil and set aside. Mix together the ground flax seed and warm water and set aside. Mix together the almond milk and lemon juice and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking powder, soda, salt, xanthan gum, and spices.
4. In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, almond milk mixture, vanilla extract, flax "egg", and pumpkin puree. Stir until well combined.
5. Add the pumpkin mixture and the coconut oil to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and press down into the pan. The batter will be very thick.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes, rotate the pan, and then bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let cool in pan before removing.

If you don't have any gluten-free all-purpose flour, you can easily mix up a batch of your own. Sift together:

6 c. brown or white rice flour (or a mixture of both)
2 c. potato starch
1 c. tapioca flour

Store in an air-tight container. This is the recipe I use when I make gluten-free goods.

No comments: