Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Moffles!

So, it's been a little while since I last posted anything. My computer was completely fried. It was so slow and so messed up that I would just look at it and become irrationally angry (effin' computer...). Then one day, I made my butt sit down and get it together and here I am now (two whole days later!!!) with a computer that runs like when I first bought it. Know what this means?? More posts!!

First up, is moffles. Moffles are mochi (a Japanese sweet rice dough thing) + waffles. I bought me a package of cashew date mochi on my first trip to Whole Foods with the whole idea that I would make these. I saw a post on Vegan Crunk about these creations a long time ago and I had to try them. Unfortunately, there isn't a store in my area that sold mochi so I waited and waited, then I forgot about them. I just happened to stumble upon a package at the store when I was looking at the miso and promptly placed a package in my cart.

These were super easy to make and I was especially proud because I finally got that lazy waffle iron to get down to business. To begin, I cut myself off two servings of mochi with a sharp, heavy knife. I then cut each of those pieces into three more pieces to make little squares that were about 1 inch x 1 inch.


I then sprayed my preheated waffle iron with some nonstick spray. I imagine that mochi is the kind of thing that would get gooey and rip all over the place if you don't use a little spray. I placed the little squares in my waffle iron and let it do its business. Since the lid wouldn't go down all the way with the (cold, hard) squares in there, I just waited until the mochi had gotten soft enough for me to clamp down the lid. After clamping the lid down, I let the mochi cook until the waffle iron quit making so much noise and steam stopped coming out.

Once cooked, I ripped the mochi into little squares and then I served them alongside some hot maple syrup that had some Earth Balance melted in it (I'm a dipper). The mochi I got wasn't that sweet, even though it was cashew-date flavored. Also, it just seems more waffle-y if there is maple syrup and butter involved.


Verdict: I'm officially a mochi-lover. I ate moffles for breakfast everyday until the package was gone. It's the texture that wins me over. It's so nice and chewy and super easy to prepare. I wanted to bake them in the oven like the package suggests just to try it out, but my oven broke so I'll have to wait until next time. Definitely, definitely try it!

No comments: