I figured since the recipe was free and available online, I'd repost it, but I strongly urge you to get a subscription to VT. Many of the recipes are vegan or easily veganizable, and lots of gluten-free recipes abound as well. It's the longest running subscription I've held, and I plan on renewing for a fourth time! Huzzah!
Not my picture. Just saying.
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, divided
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 12 baby spinach leaves (green leaf lettuce is also super tasty here)
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper strips
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 small green onions, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese, optional (leave out to make vegan... just saying...)
2. Heat skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with olive oil cooking spray. Wrap corn in paper towels, and squeeze out excess water. Add corn to skillet in single layer, and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tsp. cumin, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy, stirring frequently.
3. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350°F. Toast tortillas in toaster oven 1 minute to soften. Alternately, bake tortillas on taco baking rack in oven 7 to 10 minutes, or until crisp. Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup corn, 3 spinach leaves, red pepper strips, cilantro, and green onions. Top each taco with 1 Tbs. cheese, if using. Serve immediately, or pack into lunch container, and chill.
To find the original recipe from Vegetarian Times, go here.
Note: When I made these I also added paprika to the corn while roasting in the skillet to give it a little spice and I left off the cilantro (it's not my favorite) and the cheese, of course. Many authentic brands of corn tortillas are already vegan, so those won't be hard to find. I got a huge stack of refrigerated Mexican corn tortillas for like, $2 and they lasted in my fridge for about 3 months. They got me through lots of these tacos! I also microwaved the tortillas when I was in a hurry, but they truly do taste better if you stick them in the oven.
I took these tacos to work with me on a couple of occasions and every time I made them my co-workers were like, "wow! Those smell great!". I really think this is my favorite taco recipe ever. Try them, and have a great day!