Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Overnight Oats

I love overnight oats. Actually, since it's sooo effin' hot outside, I've been eating lots of overnight oats instead of the cooked ones. Though I'm sure that will change once it starts getting cool outside.

I tend to make my oats with a variety of kinds. I use rolled oats and steel-cut oats sometimes (though I don't think these are actually raw. I'm not for sure.) and lately I've been using whole oat groats because that is what's in my pantry. These are raw. However, even if you aren't on any sort of raw mission, overnight oats make a damn tasty and filling breakfast. Also, if you buy the ingredients in bulk, this makes for a very cheap breakfast as well! You just can't lose!

If you're using rolled oats or steel-cut oats:
Place all the ingredients in the bowl and let it sit overnight or for a couple hours. For the steel-cut oats you can also soak them in water in the fridge for up to two days before using them.

If you're using whole oat groats:
Soak the groats in water with a few drops of lemon juice up to two days before using them. Since they are a raw food product, it's possible that they could become rancid, so if they taste bitter they're no good. Oat groats aren't naturally bitter.

So here's my favorite recipes for overnight oats. I always put coconut in mine. It's almost cruel that I live in Missouri because I think I eat coconut every single day!

Badass Groats:
1/4 c. soaked whole oat groats or steel-cut oats
1/2 c. almond milk (sometimes I use raw homemade milk, sometimes I don't)
1 Tb. raw almond butter
1 Tb. maple syrup (my almond butter has no sugar; maple syrup isn't raw)
1 Tb. shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 tsp. golden flax seeds
1 tsp. chia seeds
A few shakes of cinnamon
Sliced banana, optional

1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor except for the banana and blend it for a few seconds. This helps to incorporate the syrup and almond butter.
2. Pour into a bowl, add the sliced banana, and enjoy. I usually let it set for a few minutes while I make my coffee to activate the chia seeds, but that's up to you! You can also process the banana, but I like the balance of textures.

 It really does look like rabbit food. Delicious, tasty rabbit food.

Superfruit Oats:
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. almond milk
1 tsp. chia seeds
1 tsp. golden flax seeds
1/2 Tb. almond butter
1/2 Tb. maple syrup
1 Tb. shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 banana, sliced
5 or so strawberries, sliced
1 Wheetabix, crumbled (it's like a large, shredded wheat biscuit only kinda flaky as opposed to shredded)

1. Combine the oats, almond milk, chia seeds, flax seeds, almond butter, and maple syrup. Put it in a covered container and stick it in the fridge overnight.
2. In the morning, add a little more almond milk, if desired, for texture along with the coconut, banana, sliced strawberries, and crumbled Wheetabix. Enjoy!

That's soymilk in the picture. I'm just sure of it.

2 comments:

Chloe said...

I can't wait to try this, I am so into Almond Butter these days. The best one by far is Barney Butter, you would swear it is pb and is so much better for you. I bought it from their website.

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Almond butter is pretty much awesome! I will have to look up this Barney Batter cause I'm almost out! Lol.