Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Super Power After-Workout Smoothie

This is my favorite smoothie. I usually make it after I work out because it's full of protein and electrolytes that speed up your recovery.

For most people, you don't need to supplement with protein after your work out because you're able to get enough protein from your diet. It's only when you workout for over 45 minutes most days of the week that your need to consider eating more protein.

However, since most vegans have to make a effort to get enough protein in their diet anyway, it's important that a high-protein supplement be added to your diet if you workout (I suppose I should start including references). Actually, a vegan protein smoothie is probably just a good idea regardless. Like as a snack or something.

I tend to use rice protein and out of all the brands that I've tried, I like this one the best. I think I'm going to try the chocolate soon. It's still a little bitter (like most rice protein is), so use can use 3/4 a scoop of powder for taste. I've also tried Peaceful Planet's African Vanilla Soy Protein, and it's vegan and tasty as well. I recommend it.

Okay, now that being said, here's my favorite after-workout smoothie. Feel free to sub with your favorites, though it will change the overall nutrition information:

Raspberry-Banana Protein Smoothie:
1 scoop Peaceful Planet African Vanilla rice protein powder (it's my favorite, tasty and affordable!)
1 Tb. shelled hemp seeds
1/2 frozen banana
1/3 c. frozen raspberries
1/2 c. coconut water
1/2 c. almond milk or homemade almond yogurt or plant yogurt of choice
Water or coconut water for consistency

Mix all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Add ice cubes and/or a little extra coconut water to get your desired smoothie consistency! Tasty!!

The Breakdown:
Protein powder - 14 grams protein
Hemp seeds -  8 grams protein
Banana - 0.5 grams protein
Almond milk - 0.5 grams protein

I got a little thirsty between shots.

Yay!! A smoothie made of 25 grams of vegan protein! Awesome. Using half a container of soy yogurt instead of almond milk would bump the protein up to 27.5 grams.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I love smoothies. I make them as a post work out snack too :)