Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Roasted Vegetable Hummus Wraps

Quick n' easy post today, folks. I've got a final to study for (finally!!).

I actually made these wraps awhile ago, I've just been a little slow to post. I really adore roasted vegetable sandwiches and wraps, so this combination was a win-win. Also, if you cook up additional veggies, you have a great start on a lasagna, a pasta dish, or more sandwiches... lol. For the hummus part of this recipe I used the roasted garlic and roasted red pepper variations of the hummus in Appetite for Reduction. Although I'm not gonna lie, I added some tahini to the recipe just hummus without tahini is like a burrito without salsa (am I right here??)! Lol. Isa's recipe is great though, I've made it a few times. It's real easy, too. Can't beat that! However, feel free to use store-bought hummus as well, since a food processor is pretty integral in making hummus.

Though speaking of store-bought hummus, my boyfriend and I just discovered a Cucumber-Dill  flavor and it was awesome. It would be really good on these wraps! I'd love to make some homemade, but I'm not sure how it would work. Do I just toss the cucumbers in there?? Lol. Anywho...

Roasted Vegetable and Hummus Wraps:
1 yellow squash, sliced about 1/4" thick (doesn't have to be exact)
1 zucchini, sliced about 1/4" thick
1 red onion, sliced about 1/4" thick
1 red bell pepper, sliced about 1/4" thick
About 1/2 c. white mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped (opt.)
Roasted red pepper hummus
Roasted garlic hummus
Your favorite tortillas (spinach ones are a good choice with these!)

1. Make or buy hummus, lol. I won't put Isa's recipes on here, since they don't belong to me. However, I will tell you that I took her recipe and added 2 Tb. sesame tahini, then I split the batch in half. I used half to make the red pepper hummus and the other half to make the roasted garlic.
2. In a skillet or on a grill pan sprayed with cooking spray, lay down slices of zucchini and yellow squash. Cook about 3-5 minutes per side, or until softened but not mushy. You kind of want them to hold together in the sandwich.
3. Meanwhile, in a skillet sprayed with nonstick, saute the onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic over medium-high heat until softened and golden, about 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low and keep warm in the skillet until you are done cooking the squash slices.
4. To assemble the wraps, spread the tortillas with one or both of the hummuses (???). I'd say I use slightly less than 1/4 cup total per wrap. Place a layer of yellow squash and zucchini down, followed by the sauted onion-pepper mixture. Roll up and enjoy!

These really made a fairly quick lunch and the leftovers were great at work. You can eat them cold or hot, it's up to you!

And, since berries are everywhere and you can find organic ones at a decent price (I've only bought organic since my pesticide-berry fiasco), I made some of Amber's raw Vanilla Creme sauce to pour over some strawberries and blueberries.

 
It had great vanilla flavor, but alas, my blender is just not powerful enough to make it as smooth as hers... maybe someday, lol!

Well, I hope you all are having a great week! Just be sure you stay safe and cool! It's been killer here in the Midwest (unfortuantely literally), so make sure you are checking on your loved ones, you neighbors, and your pets!!

4 comments:

Chef Amber Shea said...

I agree, hummus needs tahini! Or, if not, at least a healthy dose of olive oil.

Aw, I'm glad you tried the cream! Sorry your blender didn't like it =/ My only suggestion would be to soak the cashews a looong time, like overnight, and in warm or hot water. Or, yknow, get a Vitamix someday ;P

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Lol.

I'd say the best solution is to...

get a Vitamix!

:)

Bianca said...

Ha! I made the AFR hummus last night too! And it did feel a little wrong not having tahini in my hummus.

Pete said...

Looks good and healthy. I would love to eat this...yum!