Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Nectarine-Walnut Spiced Quinoa Flakes

Another glorious breakfast post today! You guys know I love to start my day out right, lol.

However, today I decided to drift away from the usual protein powder-peanut butter affair and experiment with some of summer's delicious produce. Oh man, I seriously look forward to white peaches and nectarines as soon as May rolls around. They only have a short window where they're absolutely excellent (and that time is now, my friends!).

I had originally intended to put some currants in here, but when I was adjusting my pantry (getting rid of empty and near-empty containers and what-not), I would up putting them in a container that had just been storing some garam masala. So, now my currants are steeped in the essence of Indian food and I'll just have to set them aside for some tasty cashew-currant-pea yellow rice. Or something!

Quinoa flakes are kind of expensive so you can substitute oats or any other grain you have on hand. I just bought them because I thought that they were much cheaper than they actually were (wrong tag at store), and I was too embarrassed to put them back! Although, when made with quinoa flakes, this recipe is gluten-free.

I'm not really sure what to call this, so I'll do what gourmet chefs do and just name it after the ingredients:

Nectarine-Walnut Spiced Quinoa Flakes:
1/3 c. quinoa flakes
2/3 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/3 c. water
dash of salt
1/2 a nectarine, diced
1 Tb. chopped, toasted walnuts
1tsp. sweetener or choice or 3-4 drops liquid stevia
1 tsp. golden flax seeds
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of cardamom

1. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the quinoa flakes, almond milk, water, and dash of salt. Microwave 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. The flakes will become nice and creamy.

2. Stir in the vanilla extract, sweetener, cinnamon, and cardamom.

3. Top with diced nectarine, walnuts, and flax seeds. Enjoy!

And you know what? I think this was better without the currants! I enjoyed breakfast with a serving of Gimmie Lean (I love that stuff!) and some dark coffee with almond milk.

Also, just to keep you guys updated, here's what I got in the works: Roasted Vegetable Pizza with Polenta Crust, Strawberry Cake, Bibimbap, and my speciality: Peach Pancakes with Chai-Spiced Syrup. I will admit here that I am a self-proclaimed vegan pancake master! Lol. Have a great day!

No comments: