Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Corn-Quinoa Salad

Here's another recipe from VT, tried and tested(and slightly modified) by yours truly, lol.

Anywho, I've been a subscriber to Vegetarian Times for many years. I love that magazine. With the exception of one recipe, everything I've cooked from their issues has been delicious, and, the one time time it wasn't, it was completely my fault (I had to substitute for available ingredients and it didn't turn out. Also, I didn't know what tapenade was at the time and I hadn't tried olives yet. Not to go on a tangent here, but I think I should definitely revisit that recipe...). So yeah, VT is awesome. I save all my issues and then go back and revisit the monthly issues so I can pick out a variety of recipes using seasonal foods and similar ingredients.

This time around, I was looking through a June/July 2010 issue and I found a recipe for Corn-Quinoa Salad. Not only did I just get some fresh corn, but I had cherry tomatoes AND quinoa AND red cabbage AND cucumbers. So basically, I was able to get in the kitchen the next day and make it! I changed the recipe a little bit (you can find the original here) but it was mostly to suit the amounts of ingredients I had on hand. It's basically a cold "grain" (quinoa's not a grain, it's a seed) salad with a simple dressing. I was kind of skeptical, but I am so glad I tried it! The salad was awesome! It was cool, refreshing, and makes a great side-dish, especially for a picnic or a BBQ. Everybody who tried it, including my mom and people at work, really dug it. It just has a really great flavor and texture. Next time I make this (and I will make it again), I'll probably add in some chickpeas to make it more of a main dish.

Thanks, VT, for your great photography!

Also, if you're like me and generally cook for only one or two people, you might want to halve it. It makes a lot! I used agave nectar in the dressing, but I normally shun that stuff because I believe it's worse for you than high fructose corn syrup. The original recipe called for maple syrup. I, however, was given a free container of agave and had no maple syrup, so that's what I used. You can also use local honey if that's your thing. This recipe is also gluten-free, just be sure you check the ingredients in your vegetable broth first, and use an all-natural dijon. Both Imagine and Pacific Foods veggie broth are gluten-free.

Corn-Quinoa Salad:
Salad:
3/4 c. quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 c. vegetable broth
1/4 tsp. salt
kernels from 2 ears of corn (or about 1 c. of fresh or frozen corn)
1 c. halved cherry tomatoes
1 c. red cabbage, finely chopped or shredded
1 c. cucumber, diced

Dressing:
1/3 c. olive oil
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice (1-2 lemons, depending on their juiciness)
3 Tb. agave nectar
1 Tb. dijon mustard
1 tsp. salt

1. To make Salad: Bring quinoa, salt, and 1cup broth plus 1/2 cup water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Once done, drain any extra water then set aside, uncovered, 10 minutes.

2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in separate saucepan. Add corn, and cook 1 minute. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Drain again. Stir together corn, tomatoes, cabbage, cucumber, and quinoa in bowl.

3. To make Dressing: Whisk together the lemon juice, agave, dijon mustard, and salt. Slowly add in the olive oil and whisk until completely blended. Stir into the salad and toss well until everything is coated. 


This salad can be served immediately or made ahead of time and chilled.

Also, on a completely random side-note, I've finally decided to bite the bullet and get myself a decent digital camera. I love my blog and I know that better pictures would really help it out. I've been using my phone for a long time, and I'm pretty much tired of it because I can't adjust ANYTHING. So if you stay tuned, I hope to amp up my food photography in the near future! Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! This looks really good, I'll have to try it. I trust all of your recipes! ;)

Whitney

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

I think you'll definitely like it!