Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

"Health" Nut Banana Bars

I have this habit of constantly buying bananas. I like them, I really do, but I don't eat them that often. I usually just look down at my counter one day and see an entire bunch of very ripe bananas and then freak out because I have to cook something with them (I just can't throw food away). 

Well, I had gotten tired of the usual banana pancakes and smoothies and I wanted to try something a little different. These moist, amazing, delicious, my favorite-thing-right-now bars were born. I'm all about texture and these are great! I suppose you could fancy them up with a little vegan frosting, but they really don't need it. Enjoy!


I REALLY think that some carob or chocolate chips would be great in these bars. If you choose to add some, I would go with about 1/2 cup.


"Health" Nut Banana Bars1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. Turbinado sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 Tb. milled flax seed, divided
2 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. unbleached white flour
1/2 c. pecans, coarsely ground
2 Tb. wheat germ
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1-2 Tb. soymilk


1. In a small bowl, combine 1 Tb. milled flax seed with 3 Tb. warm water. Stir and set aside. 

2. In a medium bowl, combine flours, pecans, 1/2 Tb. milled flax seed, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well. 

3. In small bowl with the flax seed and water, add oil, Turbinado sugar, vanilla, and mashed bananas. Stir well. 

4. Add the wet ingredients with to the dry, then add the soymilk, and stir until just mixed. 

5. In a lightly oiled 9" x 13" pan, evenly spread batter, then bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes, or until a fork inserted comes out clean (I don't believe in toothpicks, lol).


Basically, just spread the batter out into whatever pan you have. You can also make muffins, but the tops aren't all smooth like they are with the bars. A vegan banana frosting would be great on these!

No comments: