Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Holiday Rice


I adapted this recipe from last October's issue of Vegetarian Times. I saw the recipe for the Wild Rice Autumn Rissoles and I really wanted to make it. I bought all the stuff to make it (though most I had on hand) and instead of making a cooked patty (the recipe originally called from 3 eggs), I made a holiday stir-fry. It rocks. When me and my boyfriend were snowed in last week, our Christmas dinners got canceled so we wound up having to "make-do" with the holiday flavors of this. We were delightfully surprised at it, and will definitely make it again.

Suggestion: In order to make a super awesome one-dish skillet meal, I recommend browning and crumbling half a tube of Gimme Lean sausage, then going on with the recipe as usual. It makes it more hearty that way. Serve it with a winter salad and some cranberry sauce (yup... it's real good with the rice) and you got yourself a well-rounded meal.

The flavors of the cranberries and pecans add nice texture while the traditional herbs give it that holiday flavor. I was going to make it with half wild rice and half brown rice, but the wild rice had a stranger-than-usual funk about it. I normally love wild rice, but I couldn't stomach it this go round so I just doubled the brown rice.

Holiday Rice:
2 c. cold, cooked brown rice (nice and fluffy)
2 leeks, washed well, white and light green parts chopped
1/2 c. dried cranberries
3 artichoke hearts (about half a 6 oz. jar. NOT MARINATED), chopped
1/4 c. pecans, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp. EACH dried sage, thyme, and rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a warm skillet, toast the pecans until fragrant, a couple minutes. Then set aside.

2. Using a little oil, saute the leeks and artichoke hearts, about three minutes.

3. Add the spices and stir until fragrant, about one minute.

4. Add the rice, cranberries, pecans, salt, and pepper. Stir until heated through.

5. Serve with cranberry sauce, enjoy!

No comments: