Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chocolate Cake with Mousse Frosting

I made this cake for my nonveg roommate's birthday. They liked it, but they're more of a cake-from-a-box type of people. They like that spongy, air type of cake, whereas I'm more of a cake-from-scratch type of person (I like that dense, cakey texture). They loved the icing though! AND even better, this cake will make a layer cake. It has the perfect texture and crumb for it. I really wanted to layer it, but alas, I had no cake box to store it in after frosting...

I thought this cake was pretty magical. I ate it for breakfast with some strong coffee (my favorite way to enjoy desserts!). I will definitely make it whenever I need me some chocolate cake.

Also, a trick to vegan cake baking is to bake it as soon as possible. As soon as that batter is mixed, get it into the oven. The vinegar and the baking soda react together to create the rise, so if you take too long getting it into the oven, it will go flat.

Chocolate Cake:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. oil
1/4 c. vegan chocolate syrup (most are vegan, even Hershey's)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. soymilk
1 tsp. rice vinegar

Preheat oven to 350.
1. Mix soymilk and rice vinegar. Set aside and let curdle.
2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. I like to whisk it together because it gives it a nice, sifted texture.
3. In a small bowl, combine the oil, chocolate syrup, vanilla, and soymilk mixture.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine well.
5. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13 x 2 in. cake pan and bake for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let cool completely before frosting.

Chocolate Mousse Frosting:
1/2 c. vegan margarine
2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
dash of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tb. soymilk
2 Tb. chocolate syrup

1. Beat margarine, powdered sugar, cocoa, and salt until smooth and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla, soymilk, and chocolate syrup, then beat until well-combined and still fluffy.
3. Spread over cooled cake.

Cake + Frosting: 16 slices/250 calories for a slice. NOT BAD for a cake, huh? Cake by itself is only 130 calories a slice.

No comments: