Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Spicy Baked Asian Tofu

I think that baking tofu is the best way to go. Hands down. I always bake my tofu, because it's kind of a super easy-quick way to marinate it. It's only after it's been baked do I toss it with some noodles or wok it in a stir fry. I think the flavor and texture of it is superior to just plain stir-fried, and I always have a hard time trying not to munch on these things when I see their baked deliciousness sitting in the fridge.

It's Asian because it's Thai-ish, but believe me if I didn't live it a culturally defunct little town I would be cooking these babies up with some Kaffir leaves, tamarind, and lemongrass. So, I guess I have to settle with my chili paste and tamari (though I did drive over an hour to get to that paste).

Either way, this is my favorite kind of tofu.

Spicy Baked Asian Tofu:
3 Tb. low-sodium tamari
1 Tb. peanut oil
1/2 Tb. Thai chile-garlic paste
1/2 tsp. chili oil
1/2 tsp. ginger (powdered)
1 block of firm or extra firm tofu

Preheat oven to 375.
1. Press tofu for about 15-30 minutes (I usually put it between two plates and then place my flour canister on top. It's heavy, but it doesn't make the tofu split).

2. Combine all other ingredients in a shallow baking dish (it probably won't completely cover the bottom, that's ok).

3. Cube the tofu and add it to the baking dish. Give it a stir so that all the cubes are coated with the marinade.

4. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes to an hour. Stirring it occasionally. I like it best when the edges get a little crusty. It's soooo good. You now have tofu you can eat cold right out of the fridge add to anything! Enjoy!

No comments: