Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Spiced Banana Pancakes


I freaking love pancakes, and I'm not ashamed to admit it! They're like another food group for me. Seriously. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and probably once a week. They're so quick and easy and filling. Pancakes can be fattening, but I've lightened up these a little. I never add any oil to my pancakes (you know, cause they're cooked it in), and as long as I make them in a nonstick with some cooking spray, they never stick. These pancakes work out to be about 110 calories and less than a gram of fat per pancake (about .75 g). Served with a touch of vegan margarine (just a touch!) and a serving of real maple syrup, you're looking at a dang tasty supper. That won't put a lot on the middle (a far cry from the egg-dairy-fat laden pancakes at a restaurant).

So yeah, done with my pancake rant!

Banana pancakes was seriously the first thing I ever made as a new vegan, and I will always conjure up memories of those days when I eat these. :)

(Lightly) Spiced Banana Pancakes:
1. Combine these ingredients in a medium bowl with a whisk (kinda works like a sifter):
1 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour or graham flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
a few shakes cardamom (can get overpowering if you use too much)

2. Combine these ingredients in a small bowl:
1 large, very ripe banana, mashed
1 Tb. brown sugar
1 1/4 c. soymilk
1/4 tsp. vanilla (just a touch, use between 1/8-1/4 tsp.)

3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. If desired, thin with a little soymilk.

4. In a nonstick pan sprayed with cooking spray, cook the pancakes a couple at a time over medium-ish heat. When the pancakes are slightly dry around the edges and a few bubbles form in the center, flip with a spatula, and cook a couple minutes more.

5. Repeat with remaining batter.

NOTE: These pancakes are a wee bit thick, so they may not bubble that much. However, they still cook pretty fast (about 3-4 minutes), so keep your eye on them.

ENJOY!!

1 comment:

noone said...

YAY! VEGAN 'NANA PANCAKES!!!!!!!

Wow, you changed your blog up! Good show. ^.^ I likes.

Um... Um...

Sorry, mah brain is really fried. Just woke up and I haven't smoked yet, lol! Keep on havin' fun! Hope to see u soon. Peace.