I love homemade pizza. Especially when it's cruelty-free!
Basic Pizza Dough:
1 c. warm water
1 Tb. vegan sugar
2 and 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 and 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 and 1/2 c. unbleached white flour
1 tsp. sea salt
3 Tb. olive oil
1. Pour warm water (like the temperature of a really nice shower) and sugar in a bowl. Stir to dissolve. Add the yeast and let it stand about five minutes. It should get really foamy. If after five minutes it's not foamy, the means that the water was too hot or too cold. Dump it out and start over. This will help save you headaches later when your dough doesn't rise!
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flours and salt. Make a little well in the center of the flour and add the olive oil and yeast mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients until the make a ball.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it a few minutes until it's smooth. Shape in into a ball and place in an oiled bowl . Cover and let it rise in a warm place for an hour.
4. When the dough is finished rising, knead lightly for a minute or two more and then divide the dough into two pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, then roll each piece into a 12-inch round. Place the flattened round onto a lightly oiled pan and then top with ingredients.
5. Bake about 15-20 minutes in a 450-degree oven.
Makes 2, 12-inch pizza crusts that are 800 calories each (about 100 calories a slice [dough only]).
Now it's time for my favorite pizza toppings:
Baby spinach, chopped
Yellow peppers, chopped
Sweet onion, diced