Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Italian Vegetable Stew

I'm a cook. It's what I do. I'm constantly creating recipes and testing them out on people. This here is one of my creations, Italian Vegetable Stew. It's nice and thick and best served with bread!


I basically just used up the veggies still left in my fridge. That's why there's only half an onion and a quarter of cabbage. I also grated my carrots. Not sure why. Maybe I was a little... (rhymes with "why"). Lol. Anywho, the salt and pepper are to taste and the other unmeasured spices are probably in the 1/2 to 1 tsp. range. I didn't really measure them. I personally like my cabbage to be really soft AND I use brown rice, so that's why I cook it for so long.

Italian Vegetable Stew:

2 medium carrots, grated
1/4 head of green cabbage, cored and sliced thin
1/2 med. onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tb. olive oil
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can asparagus, drained
1/4 c. mixed lentils (I used Bob's Vegi soup mix)
1/4 c. brown rice
1 Tb. garlic powder
1 Tb. parsley
6 c. water
1 vegan vegetable bouillion cube
Sea salt
Basil
Thyme
Oregano
White pepper


1. Rinse and pick through rice and lentils. Place in soup pot and set aside. 

2. Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until tender. Add to lentil/rice mix. 

3. Add water and spices to soup pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add bouillion cube and stir. Combine additional vegetables to the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.


Serves 6-ish.

No comments: