Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Vegan MoFo: Super Easy Chili

Yesterday I had some time to kill so I went to the library to see if I could wrangle me up a few good books. I was disappointed because they were fresh out of Hunter S. Thompson (one of my favorite authors) so I meandered over to the cookbook section, which lead me over to the science section. I found an awesome book on the history of phosphorus (which really is more interesting than it sounds!) and as I was searching for some books on molecular biology I came across The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, PhD and Thomas M. Campbell, II. I've been meaning to read this book for years and now that I finally have it in my hands, I can't put it down!

Veg bloggers the world over have mentioned this book, which is basically an interpretation of the results of one of the most comprehensive studies ever conducted on nutrition (it promotes a plant-based diet based on the researchers' findings). I haven't got very far, but I'm liking what I'm reading!

Anywho. Now that I've got a couple of good books to snuggle up with when it's cold outside, I need a good ol' bowl of something tasty to go with it. What better meal to enjoy while reading about plant-based nutrition than a bowl of vegan chili?

This chili is perfect for beginning cooks because it's so quick and easy to make. It also makes a good-sized pot so you'll have plenty of leftovers to eat during the week. You could also use some of the leftovers to make nachos, burritos, or tacos in a snap, or you can top some baked potatoes (like in my photo). In this recipe I use Gimmie Lean hamburger style to provide some of the "meaty" bite, but you could also use bulgur wheat. Just be sure you add enough liquid to thoroughly cook it up. I used preseasoned chili beans to make it quick (though I add a little spice of my own). I recommend Bush's Beans though because they don't have any high-fructose corn syrup in them. It's one of the food additives I always avoid.

Also, remember than leftover half a can of tomato paste you have from making the minestrone (assuming you make my food, lol!)? You can use it here! Yay for no waste!

Super Easy Vegan Chili:
1/2 a roll of Gimmie Lean, beef flavor
1 can Bush's beans in chili sauce, mild flavor (undrained)
1 can Bush's beans in chili sauce, hot flavor (undrained)
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 (4 oz) can tomato paste
1/2 a yellow onion, diced
1 Tb. minced garlic (3 cloves)
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 c. brewed coffee (opt.)

1. In a skillet sprayed with some nonstick, cook together the Gimmie Lean, onions, and garlic until the Gimmie Lean is browned and the onions are softened, about 5-7 minutes. Be sure to "crumble" the Gimmie Lean as you cook it. Add the cumin and saute everything until it's fragrant, about 1-2 more minutes.

2. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, combine the beans in hot sauce, beans in mild sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, cooked Gimmie Lean mixture, brown sugar, and brewed coffee. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.

3. Let simmer (I usually let it go uncovered) about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Enjoy!

And as with all chilis and soups, the flavor the next day has had more time to develop. Tasty!

1 comment:

Chef Amber Shea said...

My boyfriend just bought The China Study yesterday! I was so proud of him :P

Nice job on the chili - I like your suggestion of using bulgur.