Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Vegan MoFo: Poppy Seed Coleslaw? Why Not?

So, the other day my Dad came home with a bag of shredded coleslaw mix. It was a not-so-subtle hint that he'd like me to make him some. My Dad's pretty awesome and he does a lot for me, so I always give in to his "hints" and cook things for him. I don't mind one bit though, because the kitchen is probably one of my favorite rooms in the house!

Anywho, my not-so-secret secret to making this coleslaw is Veganaise. It's my go-to vegan mayo and I honestly think it is a dead ringer for mayonnaise. Actually, I like it BETTER than mayo because not only is it free of eggs and milk (and a million other things on its unusually long ingredients list), but I think it tastes... cleaner? You know, it's not so greasy on the tongue... That's kind of a weird way to say it, but eh. You catch my drift. Lol.

So yeah, my Dad eats my vegan coleslaw and he loves it. I love it as well. I only put enough veganaise on there to give all the cabbage a nice coating. I HATE goopy coleslaw. I also ensure that it's neither too vinegary nor too sweet and I balance everything out by giving it a nice dosing of poppy seeds. Though most coleslaw recipes here in the Midwest use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar, I always use rice vinegar because I find the flavor more pleasant. This is just my preference though, and you can use whatever kind you like. I previously posted this same recipe, but it was a guesstimate based on what I tossed in the bowl. In this recipe, everything is nicely measured out and the final product has been tested and approved! Enjoy! Even in November!


Also, I used two small heads of savoy cabbage to yield 5 cups, but I'm sure a large green one will yield five cups easy. Also, a mandoline makes real easy of the cabbage and onion shredding.

Poppy Seed Coleslaw:
5 c. shredded cabbage
3/4 c. shredded carrots
1/2 c. yellow onion, thinly sliced
2/3 c. Veganaise
2 Tb. sugar of choice (I use liquid sweetener)
1 Tb. poppy seeds
1 Tb. olive oil
1 Tb. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. sea salt

1. After washing shredding cabbage, ensure that it is COMPLETELY dry by spinning it in a salad spinner and drying it with paper towels. If there's excess water, it will become goopy. Place the cabbage mix, carrots, and onions in a bowl, toss to combine, and set aside.

2. In a small bowl, combine the veganaise, poppy seeds, oil, vinegar, sugar, and sea salt. Mix well.

3. Pour veganaise mixture over the cabbage mix and mix until all the cabbage is coated. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours before serving. Ta-da!


I realize this is a very un-Thanksgiving-like post, but hey, I figured I'd spice things up a bit. Also, you can come back to this recipe later and make it for BBQs with the weather is nice! Have a great holiday!

No comments: