Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Vegan Survey!

Not gonna lie, I totally love answering surveys. Why? No clue. But don't fret, I'll have a food post later. Dinner tonight is gonna be tasty!


I stole this survey from Amber at her Almost Vegan blog.

1. What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?
Cheese. It wasn't like I ate it that often, but I tended to use it as a "garnish" on soups and bready things and salads. Also, I was like, "how am I gonna eat a veggie sandwich without cheese?!". Answer: Easily.

2. What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?
Raw tomatoes and cucumbers. Luckily, most of the stuff I refused to eat then, I still won't eat now!

3. What vegan dish or food you feel like you should like, but don’t? 
Tempeh. Maybe an expert should cook it for me or something, but seriously. I just can't do tempeh. Or eggplants (I like the flavor, but I hate those tiny little seeds in it. It grosses me out!!).

4. What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?
Water. Lots of water. With coffee as a distant second, and ginger kombucha a close third.

5. What dish are you famous for making or bringing to gatherings?

Homemade "sausage" and pecan stuffing and some badass chocolate chip cookies.

6. Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
Nope. In fact, I usually dip one food in another and I LOVE nuts in sweets.

7. What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
 Bread. I'm a carb addict!

8. What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
Umm... definitely seitan.

9. What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get the good stuff?
Oils and nut butters. And organic produce.

10. Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?
I snack all day long. I'm definitely a "grazer".

11. What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
All the veggies: tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, bell peppers, onions, broccoli bits, and roasted garlic on a nice layer of vegan pesto or spicy marinara. Awesome.

12. What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?
I love pretty much all vegetables, but I'd definitely say my favorite is the lowly onion. I joke that I eat an onion a day. As for fruit, I adore red grapefruit and clementines (and the season is fast approaching us, yay!).

13. What is the best salad dressing?
I actually eat a lot of salads with salsa. Haha.

14. What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?
Depends on the bread, but if we go with the general term "toast", I like either Smart Balace Light with peanut butter or coconut butter with peanut butter.

15. What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
I love Amy's No Chicken Noodle soup when I got a cold, but I also adore my homemade minestrone.

16. What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?
Coconut-vanilla-almond cupcake with dark chocolate frosting. Match made in heaven. I need to put that recipe up...

17. What is your favorite kind of cookie?
Not gonna lie... double chocolate chip.

18. What is your most-loved weeknight meal?
Usually leftovers, but I make pancakes for supper more often than for breakfast (but I don't eat them that often, lol!).

19. What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
Anything with leafy greens.

20. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Coconut milk and almond milk. Just bought some hemp milk to try!

21. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
There's like one broccoli-tofu quiche floating around on the internet. Ok, there's more, but they're all like the same thing. I made one this past weekend and it was alright, but it was seriously missing some pizazz. It wasn't really a disaster, but it was a waste of effort.

22. Favorite pickled item?
Pickles.

23. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Black beans, baked tofu, and clementines. Lol.

24. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
I made my first batch of cookies when I was seven. :)

25. Favorite vegan ice cream?
I've only tried two kinds. It sells for almost $7 a pint here (stupid local grocery stores jacking up prices), but I tried some chocolate almond rice dream that I liked a lot.

26. Most loved kitchen appliance?
Vitamix. Nah. Just joking. I ain't got one of those, but I do got a coffee grinder that I use for various things (and coffee). I love it!

27. Spice/herb you would die without?
Cumin.

28. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Blackberry or raspberry, WITH seeds.

29. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Pasta dishes with lots of veggies.

30. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
I love seitan and tofu, though I think tofu is the winner. Tempeh can burn in Hades.

31. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I like to cook in the early afternoon so I have stuff to munch for lunch AND dinner.

32. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Strawberries, sweet potato fries, and banana halves. I hate freezer food, but these items are acceptable.

33. What’s on your grocery list?
Sprouted wheat bread, oranges, collard greens

34. Favorite grocery store?
Whole Foods, I guess, out of necessity. I’m ready for Trader Joe’s to hit KC.

35. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
Rice Krispie Treats.

36. Food blog you read the most. Or maybe the top 3?
Wow, it’s very hard to pick just 3. I’d have to say:
Almost Vegan Blog. She's attending 105Degrees (a raw food cooking school) and I love to read about what she's making.

Wandering Hen. She's a friend of mine who's living her dream of seeing the US in her home on wheels. Right now her and her husband are working a Ren Faire in Louisiana. 

Kamutflake Girl. Last I heard she was going to Taiwan(?). She's a Canadian art student who has such a fun sense of humor (as seen in her posts). She's been gone for awhile. Maybe she'll come back?

And so many more!

37. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Umm... I really like sort of dark chocolate with nuts, seeds, and/or fruits in it.

38. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Tofurkey beer brats. They're super tasty but almost $6 a package (stupid local grocery store. Grumble. Grumble).

39. I have to ask… last meal, what would it be?
Not gonna lie. A salad from Chipotle: fajitas, black beans, rice, corn salsa, hot salsa, and guacamole. And for dessert it would have to be some sort of coconut milk ice cream covered in every imaginable add-on.

40. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I always thought I'd like a nice, quiet, country town somewhere in Spain or the Netherlands. :)

41. If you could meet anyone on earth, who would it be and why?
I have no clue!

42. Favorite quotes? 
I don't know about this one either. I'm sure ones I like are out there somewhere. Lol. 


43. Where’s the most exciting place you’ve been?
I haven't been anywhere yet. I got to get out of this college/work drag first.

44. Think about something you didn’t think you could do, but did. What was it?
Lose 55lbs. and run for enjoyment!!

45. If Bobby Flay was your personal chef for a day, what would he make you? Well, what would you politely ask him to make you, rather?
Some sort of spicy dish with black beans. And it better be damn good.

46. If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, what would it be?
A pygmy goat. I'm gonna get one when I get my farm though. :) Well. Maybe two...

47. What’s something that, if you don’t do, your day feels incomplete?
Read blogs!

…Your turn! Copy and paste this survey to your blog with your own answers filled in, and/or answer some of your favorite questions in the comments section below.

2 comments:

Chef Amber Shea said...

Yay, glad you did the survey!

I love tempeh, but I always find eggplant slimey and gross.

Coconut butter-PB toast = BRILLIANT.

"Lose 55lbs. and run for enjoyment!!" - Wow, really?! Way to go!
About 6 years ago, I lost 45 lbs, and I started running in 2007. :)

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Oh, wow! Congrats! :)