Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Best Sandwich Ever

Okay, I know I'm a little slow with the updates, but sometimes I don't make any blog-worthy food. I eat five square meals a day (three small meals and two small snacks), but I have a lot of repeats. I'm one of those people that can eat the same thing every day, twice a day, for weeks. Actually, when I was younger my Dad always teased me about eating cereal. That was (and still is) one of my favorite meals, lol (though I have upgraded from the Reese's Puffs...).

So where am I going with this, you say?

Well, here's my repeat. The most amazing sandwich ever:
Bask in its glory.

It may look plain, but right there is what I've been eating twice a day for like, a month. Well, that and those original flavor Sun Chips. I'm not gonna lie. I even ate one for breakfast the other day... In fact, the only exception to these sandwiches have been breakfast and a couple of days last week when I got low on cash and ate nothing but beans and leftover baked tofu (which I still enjoyed!).

Anyway. The main thing about being vegan for me that was hard was: 1. yogurt and 2. turkey sandwiches. I'm still looking for a yogurt substitute. I tried making my own the other day and it kind of came out, but I read the thermometer wrong and it wound up being 5 degrees too high for a few too many hours (oops). I'm going to try it again when I have some more time. It's quite a process. I know they make soy yogurt, but I just don't think that stuff's edible. Ick. I really wanted to try the coconut milk kind, but HyVee only ordered it once and it was almost $3 for a 6 oz. carton. Way too much for my budget. Pretty soon though I'm gonna be making all the almond and coconut yogurt I can handle!

And turkey sandwiches. I had been satisfied with my veggie sandwiches but one day I found a package of Yve's deli slices. After reading the long list of ingredients though, I was discouraged and just put it back on the shelf. Fast forward to a few days ago... I'm in the same store but in a different section and I find the Tofurkey brand of not-turkey slices (seriously? why are things so spread out there??) and that list was MUCH shorter with ingredients that I actually recognized. Into my cart it went. Next to it was the Veganaise. I've never had it before but I sure missed that Miracle Whip-like tang on sandwiches as well. I figured it was a day for trying new things so I closed my eyes and put the $6.49 jar of Veganaise in my cart too.

BEST IDEA EVER.

I've been vegan for almost three years and I've never tried a tofurkey sandwich before. What was I thinking?! This turned out to be exactly what I was looking for! Be prepared for many sandwich recipes in the upcoming months...

Anyway. Here's my perfect sandwich. It's very satisfying and full of tasty veggies. Two pitas full (which is what my recipe makes) is only 403 calories and I'm full by the time I'm finished. I don't use much Veganaise in order to keep the fat content down, because that stuff is pretty much like real mayonnaise. It's mostly there for flavor. I also use Claussen Hearty Garlic sandwich pickles slices because they're the only ones around here that don't use high fructose corn syrup and are seriously crunchy (the regular, not garlic flavor does have HFCS) AND my mustard is an all-natural, deli-style, horseradish flavor that isn't too hot. It peps it up a bit. Okay, now for the sandwich!:

Fancy "Turkey" Sandwich:
1 multigrain pita, split in two (multigrain stuff usually has a touch more protein)
4 leaves green leaf lettuce
2 slices of tomato (thick sliced)
6 or so slices of unpeeled cucumber (hot water/veggie wash gets off the wax)
Yellow sweet onion slices
1/4 ripe avocado, sliced
1/2 Tb. Veganaise
1 Tb. mustard
2 pickle slices
5 slices Tofurkey

1. Place split pita in the microwave for about 15 seconds to keep it from tearing.
2. Divide all the ingredients in half and split between the two pitas. You can always add more, but at this point they're stuffed pretty full!
3. Enjoy!

Also, alfalfa sprouts are a really tasty addition. Maybe you'll like this sandwich as much as I do!

1 comment:

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

so AWESOME that your local store has Tofurky! It really is amazing stuff!!!! And if your store is ordering the slices, you should have them order the Tofurky sausage sometime, it's amazing as well, you can crumble like "sausage" or use them whole like a bratwurst or whatever...
But indeed, Tofurky and Vegenaise are lunch-time staples in this house!!