And people whispered that it couldn't be done...
These were so freakin' good. I made them for a friend's birthday and they vanished! The frosting especially got some rave reviews! It's so soft and fluffy, yet rich and decadent. I used a pastry bag to fill the cupcakes and to top them.
I was really surprised when I found out that Smucker's Marshmallow ice cream topping was vegan. I checked the label for myself and sure enough, it is. I sprinkled the top of the cupcakes with a "graham dust" to get that s'more-sy effect. When I subbed some of the graham cracker flour for the regular flour I didn't notice any difference in taste so for the sake of easiness I just went ahead and made a batch using regular flour.
They're soooo good! And they very much remind me of s'mores. Goal achieved!
1 Tb. rice vinegar
1 1/2 c. soymilk
2 c. flour
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
5 Tb. cocoa
1/2 c. coconut oil, warmed until liquid
2 Tb. chocolate syrup (most are vegan, but double check)
1/2 Tb. vanilla
Marshmallow ice cream topping. You'll use about half the jar, I suppose.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
1/2 c. vegan margarine, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
dash of salt
1/2 Tb. vanilla
2 Tb. soymilk
1 Tb. chocolate syrup
1 Tb. marshmallow ice cream topping
3-4 vegan graham crackers, ground to a powder in a coffee grinder/food processor
To make the cuppy cakes:
1. Combine the rice vinegar and the soymilk in a bowl and set aside to curdle. About 5 minutes.
2. Combine the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa in a large bowl. I ususally use a whisk because it does a real good job of "sifting" and breaking up any clumps.
3. To the curdled soymilk add the liquid coconut oil, vanilla, and chocolate syrup.
4. Mix the soymilk mixture in with the dry mixture and stir until combined.
5. Place into sprayed muffin tins or paper cups and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack or on their side so that the bottoms don't get soggy.
To make the frosting:
1. Beat the margarine until fluffy.
2. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt, and beat a little bit more until combined.
3. Add the soymilk, vanilla, chocolate syrup, and marshmallow topping. Beat some more until combined.
Once the cupcakes are COMPLETELY COOLED, fill the pastry bag with marshmallow ice cream topping. In each cupcake, poke the pastry bag in and give a good squeeze to fill the center of the cupcake. Try not to overdo it.
Once all the cupcakes are filled, use the pastry bag once again to frost all the cupcakes. Then sprinkle the graham cracker dust over the top of them all.
Ta-da! Now go enjoy your cupcake-y goodness!