Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Vegan Substitutions

Vegan baking is tricky, and it takes practice. Don't get discouraged if things don't turn out right the first time (or even the second or third time)! Believe me, I've thrown away my fair share of awful "cookie" lumps.

Some of the most common ones are:
1/2 banana = 1 egg
3 Tb. applesauce = 1 egg
1/4 c. blended soft tofu = 1 egg
1 Tb. ground flax seeds (or 2 Tb. flax powder) + 3 Tb. water = 1 egg
1/4 c. soy yogurt = 1 egg

Just remember that the banana and applesauce add a slight fruity flavor while the ground flax seeds are kind of granola-y (best for whole grains breads and such).

This link takes you to the Post Punk Kitchen website. It contains more info on how to make those delightful vegan substitutions you want to learn so much!
http://www.theppk.com/veganbaking.html

1 comment:

noone said...

Omg, did I tell you how amazing your cookies were! I can't stop eating them once I start, lol! So nice and soft and chewy and nyum nyum nyum... I handed the bucket to Mark and after a bit he says, "Do me a favor - take these away from me, or I'll eat the whole thing!"

Lol! A possible hint of nutmeg or allspice would compliment your cookies, but you don't have to, seeing as they are pretty much perfect the way they are. Carob chips or raisins, heh. :D

Ever thought of converting a truck into a moving bakery? I just had the thought, seeing as I see a lot of "restaurants on wheels" out here. Hm... The oven itself possibly might be a tricky situation...

Oh, and here's a handy little tip to help increase the efficiency of your oven - I did the same thing when I was on my own and had an oven just like yours. Get ahold of some un-glazed flooring tiles (that stone/rock place between hastings and Hy-Vee has them) setting up against the side and back walls of the oven. It does an amazing job of dispersing the heat more evenly and holding it in.

Just some thoughts. :)