Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chili-Lime Tofu Kebabs

I'm pretty stoked. School's out, I've been cooking up a storm of tasty food, AND I just visited the library to check me out a couple new cookbooks (try before you buy! Lol). I'm especially excited for The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook. It's one of the newer ones they got in at my library. I love MSL. I will seriously tear up that magazine for the recipes. It's kind of like gourmet cooking, but much more manageable. Anything you cook seems fancy (even the easy recipes), and although the majority of it isn't vegan, I really enjoy making it so. So, yeah... be prepared for an onslaught of Martha, 'cause it's coming your way!

This is my teaser photo.

I actually have a bunch of new recipes I'm trying out. This is some of the only time off I get all year long, so I basically just have fun and experiment in the kitchen. I'm going to make Caramelized Onion Foccacia  Bread soon (probably tomorrow), Tuscan White Bean Burgers with Roasted Garlic Aioli (I've mentioned that one a LONG time ago!), Strawberry Layer Cake (next week for my boyfriend's birthday... I'm super stoked about making a cake. Love them!), and definitely a special dinner since my long-time-gone best friend Ally is stopping through on a break from touring the country's Renaissance Fairs. I have no idea what to make, so I'll be getting together with her about that soon! I'm also going to make a Whole Foods trip next week, so I'll be stocking up all the essentials, like chickpea flour, wheat gluten, gluten-free flours, nuts (hazelnuts!!), other organic bulk flours, vegan ramen, kombucha (it's half the price of what is found where I live!), and cooking/baking supplies. I'd really like to prep a couple of batches of seitan because I've been craving some hot sandwiches. I'm going to make my BF some non-veg Italian beef sandwiches and I'm going to need a hot seitan one to eat along with him! I hijacked my mom's crockpot for this adventure... I don't think she's noticed it's missing...

Anywho... today I made some tofu and veggie kebabs. My mom had just given me a bunch of limes and I still had a good amount of garden produce leftover, so I marinated some tofu in a chili-lime sauce for awhile, tossed everything on some sticks and served it over same plain bulgur. Easy and tasty! This only makes about 7 kebabs, so it's perfect for yourself with leftovers or for a couple people. Adding some bell peppers, potatoes (though you'll need to boil the potatoes first until they're almost done, but not so done they don't stay on the skewer), or some fresh pineapple will also help make more kebabs and give it additional flavor, so feel free to add them in if you have them. You could also cook these outside on the grill, but I am not the one who can tell you how to do that! Grilling is not my forte! And last but not least, the initial sauteing of the tofu is a pretty important step. It helps to create a nice "crust" that will help the tofu stay on the skewer. This is especially important if you use firm tofu instead of extra-firm.

Chili-Lime Tofu Kebabs:
Chili-Lime Marinade:
3 Tb. olive oil
1 1/2 Tb. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. lime zest
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
pinch of black pepper
pinch of cayenne

Kebabs:
1/3 (18-oz) carton of extra-firm tofu, pressed well and drained, cut into 1-inch cubes
about 24 cherry tomatoes, left whole
1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into quarters, then in thick 1/2-inch or so slices
1 yellow onion, cut into chunks

Bamboo or metal skewers (if using bamboo, soak for about 30 minutes before using)

1. Prepare the tofu by pressing, draining, and cubing. In a skillet sprayed with some nonstick over medium-high heat, saute the tofu until it is golden brown on all sides.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the marinade by whisking together the oil, vinegar, chili powder, paprika, lime zest, garlic, lime juice, black pepper, and cayenne until well-combined. Once the tofu is done, add the the marinade, toss tofu to coat, cover, and let marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (maybe while the bamboo is soaking, eh?). I let my go a couple hours this time around.
3. Once the tofu is done marinating, thread the skewers, alternating between the zucchini, tomatoes, onions, and tofu.
4. Heat a grill pan or a griddle to medium-high and spray with some nonstick. Add the skewers and brush on the remaining marinade. Grill, turning occasionally, until all the vegetables are mostly soft, about 15 minutes. You want to get some charred grill marks on there if you can.
5. Serve over a cooked grain, and season to taste with some sea salt. Enjoy!

Although I'm starting to look forward to fall produce (apples, root vegetables, winter squash), it's fresh summer recipes like this that help to remind me there's still some summer left to enjoy!

3 comments:

Bianca said...

I love Martha too! I listen to several of the radio shows on the Martha channel on Sirius radio. <3

Anonymous said...

I'm your newest follower and these look fantastic, will have to try them!
Audrey
http://vegincowcountry.wordpress.com/

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Thanks! I hope you like them!

I'm trying to enjoy as much summer produce as I can because fall is almost here, and kebabs are one of my favorite ways to do it. :)