Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Quick Post: Tropical Green Smoothie

Hello, everyone out there! This is just going to be a quick post because I have mondo amounts of things to do today. I just wanted to let you all know that I started leaving my green smoothies green. I also upped the spinach to one full packed cup. The result?

Pure awesome.

I wish I had started drinking green smoothies earlier because I truly love them! Even my three-year old niece enjoys her share of them (read: every time I make one I have to share!).

In yo' face!

This particular smoothie is tropical flavored... it probably has to do with the fact that it's in the 70s (finally!) and all the windows are open that made me decide I wanted to try this. Also. I was out of peaches. 

I've added cinnamon to it, because I've been adding cinnamon to everything lately. I hear it's good for your blood sugar so I've started adding more to my food. I also like to bulk it up with fruit loaded in Vitamin C so that I get the most out of my spinach. This smoothie may sound kind of weird, but I promise it's tasty! 

Also, it may also seem a little heavy on the calories, but I use this as one of my super power after-workout smoothies. Besides, it's good for you. Drink up! 

Tropical Green Smoothie:
1 c. baby spinach, packed
1/2 a banana, frozen 
1/3 c. frozen unsweetened mango chunks
1/3 c. frozen unsweetened pineapple chunks
1 Tb. shelled hemp seeds
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk (CALCIUM!!)
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
A capful of pure vanilla extract (about 1/8 tsp)
A capful of coconut extract (about 1/8 tsp)
An additional 1/2 water to thin it out, if necessary
Ice, if desired (but that's why I keep muh fruit frozen)

1. In a blender, put the spinach on the bottom, then layer everything else on top of it. 
2. Blend until completely smooth, with no chunks of spinach or fruit remaining. 
3. Enjoy, because you're filling your body with goodness!

 
Mmm. Green and frosty.

In know some of you are curious, so when made with my protein powder this smoothie has 378 calories with 9.3 grams of fat (with 0.4 of it saturated from somewhere). It also contains:
28.3 grams of protein, 
8.8 grams of fiber,
100.7% of your daily Vitamin A,
98.9% of your daily Vitamin C,
36.5% of your daily Calcium,
21% of your daily Iron

Note: All my smoothies are like mini-meals so I tend to load them up. I also aim to make them as nutritionally sound as possible. My protein powder doesn't contain any added vitamins or minerals, so these stats represent whole food goodness!

No comments: