Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Oven-Roasted Vegetables with Pomegranate Vinaigrette

This is just another quick post. I've been kind of busy (been growing some algae down at the school...), but I've still had plenty of time to cook myself up some nutritious food! Between all these roasted veggies, green smoothies, tofu scrambles, salads, juices, and hot breakfast cereal, the least thing I've been is hungry! Actually, I'm going to do a whole post on a certain hot breakfast cereal I've been eating, because it's truly amazing (and no, it's not another bowl of Cream of Wheat! Lol).

Anywho, I don't usually eat cauliflower, but I rather enjoyed it in this dish. Also, those fancy onions were on special at my HyVee, but feel free to use regular onions (white or yellow). Those cipollini onions really did have their own taste. They're onion-y and are a bitch to get the skin off (and still make you cry), but once cooked that have an unparalleled sweet onion flavor. I'm a fan! Also, I tossed three of them (unpeeled) in a batch of homemade vegetable juice and they added just the right amount of onion flavor without being overpowering.

Also, I just thought I'd let you know that this recipe is based on a Martha Stewart recipe. That lady sure has some good recipes! I have a whole bunch from her magazine that I'd like to veganize.

 Still naked veggies. 

Oven-Roasted Vegetables with Pomegranate Vinaigrette: 
For the veggies:
1 large head regular cauliflower, cut into small florets
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 lb. (-ish) of Brussels sprouts, halved
1 c. cipollini onions, halved
3 Tb. olive oil
Kosher salt black pepper

For the vinaigrette:
1/2 c. pomegranate juice (make sure it's real squashed pomegranate and not a watered down blend)
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 c. pomegranate seeds

1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
2. Toss together the prepared vegetable with the olive oil in a large bowl, and then season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Spread the veggies evenly on a large baking sheet (you might need two) and roast until golden, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes to an hour.
3. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette by placing the pomegranate juice in a bowl. Pour the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.
4. Just before serving, drizzle the vinaigrette over the warm veggies and toss with pomegranate seeds. Then enjoy!

This recipe will make you plenty of veggies. I hope you like leftovers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum, martha stewart recipes are always great. I never would have thought pomegranate would go with roasted veggies, but I'll have to try it!

GreenCaller said...

Dear GOD, if I keep looking at those delicious pictures I'm going to tell John that we need to move back home.

Sweet potatoes and garlic? Omg, John would LOVE that!