Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Oven-Roasted Tomatoes and Vegetable Pizza

This is one of those lovely, lengthy posts that I've been working on for a couple of days. It all began with a little planning...

Tomatoes aren't in season this year, but I like to eat tomatoes on my veggie pizzas. The easiest way to get a bunch of flavor out of some out of season produce is to roast them. Also, if you tend to have a bunch of end-of-the-season tomatoes from your garden or the farmer's market, this is the perfect way to use them up. I knew these roasted tomatoes would add a bunch of flavor to my pizza, so I decided to roast all the veggies for my pizza! I had to do the tomatoes first and by themselves though. They roast differently than say, red peppers.

Oven-Roasted Tomatoes:
1 lb. Roma tomatoes, quartered
2 Tb. minced garlic
1 tsp. kosher salt
Olive oil, for drizzling.

To begin the roasting process, I first quartered my Roma tomatoes. I then sprinkled them with minced garlic and kosher salt, then I drizzled them all over with some good olive oil.


After that, I baked them for one hour at 350F, or until they were completely soft and kind of browned around the edges.


I then followed up the tomato roasting with the roasting of my peppers and onions. I would've liked some roasted zucchini and yellow squash on there, but alas, they're not longer in season (of course, that didn't stop me with the tomatoes... lol). To roast bell peppers, use this process here. You roast them the same way as poblano peppers.

I kept the olives and artichokes as they were because well, they came from a can.

I then stored these vegetables overnight because I wasn't quite ready to be making any pizza. They next day though, I was ready to get to some pizza dough making. I followed my favorite recipe for whole wheat pizza crust (it's got wheat germ in it and stuff. I love it!) and once that process was completed I used the previously roasted vegetables (plus them canned ones) to top my pizza. I then baked it at 350F for about 15 minutes. Just until the crust was browned and the vegetables were nice and hot. I don't use vegan cheese because I'm just not a fan of that stuff. I might try Daiya one of these days, but at $6 a package and with the possiblity I won't like it, I just haven't put it very high on my priority list. However, if you like some cheeze on there, feel free to add and broil!

I would show you what it looked like, but apparently I ate it all before I took any photos. Oops. Anyway, I hope you don't mind the short post. I'll be back in full force now that finals week is over with!

No comments: