Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Pasta Primavera

I've been neglectful of my blog for quite some time. I did some research this summer for school, and it kept me busy all summer long! I can't even tell you how many bowls of cereal and celery sticks with peanut butter and nectarines I went through! Now that my busy season is pretty much over with, I finally feel like doing some cooking!

This is a quick and easy version of pasta primavera. I've never been fond of heavy cream-based sauces (even before I went vegan), so this lighter version suits me well. I hope you enjoy it.

Pasta Primavera:
1 Tb. olive oil
1 Tb. vegan margarine
3 c. mixed, sliced veggies such as red and green bell peppers, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, and asparagus
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
3/4 c. vegetable broth
1/2 c. plain soymilk
1 - 2 tsp. arrowroot
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 (12 oz.) bag farfelle (bow tie) pasta
Vegan parmesan, optional

1. Cook pasta according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute all vegetables except the tomatoes in the olive oil/margarine for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and garlic and cook another 3 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft. Add the vegetable broth, soymilk, salt, basil, and Italian seasoning.

3. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the arrowroot until you reach your desired sauce thickness (it doesn't take much).

4. Drain and rinse the pasta and stir it in with the vegetables. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan to serve.

No comments: