Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Spicy Vegan Black Bean Stew

I've officially decided that I REALLY like to cook!

Anyway, this is pretty good. My beans weren't as soft as I liked them cause I got impatient (I used dry), but that was my only complaint. I really don't know how I made it so damn spicy (I've been trying to eat bland food lately), but it's still pretty much amazing. I also had to resist the urge to add tomatoes to it (cause my frugal butt was saving them for another meal!). Next time I'd like to use a sort of chipotle adobo seasoning.




Spicy Vegan Black Bean Stew
2 c. cooked black beans (or 1 can)
1 green pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 jalapeno, diced
1/2 c. cooked carrots (I used canned cause I'm lazy)
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. cayenne (maybe that made it hot, lol!)
1/4 tsp. oregano
1 vegan bouillon cube
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 Tb. lemon juice
Sea salt to taste
Vegetable broth/water (as needed, for your desired thickness)

Mix together everything at let simmer for half an hour. Take out bay leaves before serving. Good with a tortilla on the side.

No comments: